About Main Street
Main Street Morgantown (MSM) is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization based in Morgantown, West Virginia. Since 1984, Main Street Morgantown has been a steward of welcoming, vibrant, and prosperous Downtown and Wharf Districts. As a National Main Street Accredited organization, its transformative strategies in Design, Economic Vitality, Organization, and Promotion are driven by the proven four-point model for revitalization.
Main Street Morgantown’s mission is to develop and promote vibrant and prosperous Downtown & Wharf Districts. To that end, Main Street Morgantown leads:
- A safe, welcoming, and attractive district for businesses, residents, and visitors,
- Growth an prosperity among current and prospective businesses within the district,
- Thoughtful revitalization, historic preservation, and property investment through architecture and design, and
- Collaborative partnering among public and private stakeholders to achieve a thriving business community.
As of December 2023, the Morgantown Area Partnership oversees the management of the Main Street Morgantown program to improve business growth and prosperity, encourage investment, and enhance collaborative partnering. While MSM still operates independently, belonging to the Partnership allows for a cohesive plan in revitalizing Morgantown and promoting economic growth.
National Main Street Accredited
Main Street Morgantown is a Nation Main Street accredited organization. The Main Street Approach is a time-tested framework for community-driven, comprehensive revitalization. Transformation Strategies articulate a focused, deliberate path to revitalizing or strengthening a downtown or commercial district’s economy.
Transformation strategies are implemented through comprehensive work in four broad areas, known as the Four Points.
- Economic Vitality focuses on capital, incentives, and other economic and financial tools to assist new and existing businesses, catalyze property development, and create a supportive environment for entrepreneurs and innovators that drive local economies.
- Design supports a community’s transformation by enhancing the physical and visual assets that set the commercial district apart.
- Promotion positions the downtown or commercial district as the center of the community and hub of economic activity, while creating a positive image that showcases a community’s unique characteristics.
- Organization involves creating a strong foundation for a sustainable revitalization effort, including cultivating partnerships, community involvement, and resources for the district.
The MSM Board of Directors meets monthly.